 Robotics / 26762
Re: another comparison
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 21 Jan 2007 13:37:46 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:
I'd love to make some other comparisions; actually, some of us have been trying
to figure out a good way to do this. Part of the problem is defineing specific
"goals" for a battery of tests.

It's not a simple problem. As recent discussions have sometimes pointed out,
folks have very different viewpoints on what is or is not a good test, or what a
"good" comparision is... and if we want a speed comparison to be as useful as
possible to the community, it needs to be fairly generally agreed upon.

So, ideas from the group?

Perhaps a good benchmark would be to write a PID controller and measure the
number of control loop iterations per second that can be achieved under each
environment.  This incorporates sensor input with motor output, and uses a
moderate amount of computation in the middle.  It is also a very useful
"real-world" application in robotics.  (Unfortunately, any sensor-input
application is ultimately bounded by the maximum sampling rate of the sensors,
although I think both RCX and NXT use a ~2ms sampling rate.)

My gut tells me that the RCX (using BrickOS) would give the NXT (using anythng
available so far) a good run for its money, though...