 Robotics / 26745
26744  |  26746
Subject:
another comparison
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 20 Jan 2007 15:46:27 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

We have compared the sampling and computing speed of NXT and RCX. NXT uses
standard firmware 1.03 and is programmed with the LabVIEW toolkit. RCX is
programmed with ULTIMATE ROBOLAB. Both bricks do the same thing: computing the
DFT on a small dataset of 128 points that are read from the legacy light-sensor
on a shaft encoder that is rotated with a legacy motor. ULTIMATE ROBOLAB keeps
the whole system running (managing sensors, sound, display, buttons,
IR-communication...) e.a. all the things that the standard firmware also is
doing; so there is no reduced funtionality and thus no tricky speed gain. Both
programs are absolutely comparable. But the RCX operates the sampling plus DFT
22.8 times faster than NXT! This is intriguing.

Would be nice to compare the speed features under other firmwares or programming
environments.

Beating the RCX is not that simple !

www.convict.lu/Jeunes/nxt_one/RFT_NXT_RCX.htm