 Robotics / 26418
Re: GBC at BrickFest 2006
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 6 Sep 2006 20:12:20 GMT

"Brian Davis" <brdavis@iusb.edu> writes:
In lugnet.robotics, Juergen Stuber wrote:

I wonder where the trains got emptied...

Yeah, that's suspiciously absent from my video. I'm uploading another one now:

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4717354379739538520

(The Google version is really jerky I'm afraid.)

I downloaded it completely and don't see any jerkiness,
maybe that was due to streaming it
as the bandwidth from Google was a bit low (< 100kB/s).

and if there ever was an overflow in some
module, given the enormous number of balls?

Because of the standard throughput requirement (that each
module must handle at least 1 ball per second, or "bps"),
a module *can't* be overwhelmed, as long as the first
module in a line never releases balls at more than 1 bps
or so.

But then it may need to accept a lot of balls,
if the other modules are quicker.

I know that the specification says at least 1 ball/s,
and batches of up to 30 balls must be acceptable.
I built a module to that spec,  see http://www.jstuber.net/lego/index.html.

If I were nasty and wanted to overwhelm modules downstream
(amusing the public in the process) I could store up a lot
of balls and then release them quickly,
there's nothing against that in the spec.

Jürgen

--
Jürgen Stuber <juergen@jstuber.net>
http://www.jstuber.net/