 Robotics / 25960
    RCX Virus? —Jonathan Spitz
   I think I heard about something like this a while back. I recently built a "CNC Milling Machine" out of Lego. It's my first attempt so it's very rudimentary and doesn't look that nice. Once I made a small program to see how the machine worked, I (...) (18 years ago, 15-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Virus? —John Barnes
     (...) I think it is very doubtful. I have not heard of any actual evidence of an RCX virus. What software are you using? How old is the RCX? Are you using a Ver. 1.0 with A/C input? Are you using an external power transformer? Can you borrow another (...) (18 years ago, 16-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Virus? —Jonathan Spitz
     (...) Some more info about the problem: My RCX is 2.0 and I bought it 4-5 years ago. It's been on the shelf for a while (2-3 months) and I've always used rechargeable batteries. The ones I'm using now are 2000mA NiMH. I installed the firmware both (...) (18 years ago, 16-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Virus? —Jerry Kalpin
     (...) I use rechargeable batteries too but I use Rayovac Renewals, Manganese Alkaline which have a full-charge open-circuit voltage of 1.55 and a fairly linear discharge curve (sloping downward, of course). I don't use NiMH rechargeables because (...) (18 years ago, 16-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Virus? —Brian Davis
     (...) I seem to remember that as well, but it was in either Java or Ultimate Robolab IMS. What language/firmware are you using? (18 years ago, 16-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Virus? —Philippe Hurbain
   Hello Jonathan, (...) No, it is extremely improbable! Here is the only "virus" for RCX I know: (URL) it requires some cooperation so that it can spread! (...) I don't think so. Did you have very heavy load on all three motor outputs? if so, there is (...) (18 years ago, 16-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Virus? —Claude Baumann
   (...) The original firmware is a very stable piece of software. The only moment that we ever had serious problems with it was linked to our robot GASTON while being used in the same room with a 10 desktop Mindstorms robotics course. Some parasite IR (...) (18 years ago, 16-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Virus? —Jonathan Spitz
   ok, I finally got to trying some of the stuff you recommended. I recharged the batteries and tried downloading the firmware. It can run the whole program without the motors being plugged in. It can even run the program with all motors plugged in but (...) (18 years ago, 19-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Virus? - battery output and RCX performance —Bruce Boyes
     (...) The Lego geared motors can pull about 250 mA when stalled, and close to that when heavily loaded. So for three motors, that may be more current than your batteries can deliver. Rechargeable batteries, esp NiMH, don't deliver the same peak (...) (18 years ago, 19-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

         Re: RCX Virus? - battery output and RCX performance —Philippe Hurbain
     (...) I think that NiMH should be up to the task at that power level (difference between NiMH and NiCd occur at much higher discharge rate). But maybe there is one or more dead cell that cant't hold its charge? Since NiMH provide 7.2V instead of 9V, (...) (18 years ago, 19-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: RCX Virus? —steve
   (...) But (critically) not ALL of the stuff! (...) What I suggested was that your rechargable batteries are at the end of their lifespan. Buy a set of regular NON-RECHARGEABLE batteries and see if everything works OK then. If it does then toss out (...) (18 years ago, 19-May-06, to lugnet.robotics)