 Robotics / 25965
Re: RCX Virus?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 12:49:18 GMT

Some more info about the problem:
My RCX is 2.0 and I bought it 4-5 years ago. It's been on the shelf for a while
(2-3 months) and I've always used rechargeable batteries. The ones I'm using now
are 2000mA NiMH. I installed the firmware both from the Lego basic software and
from Bricx (used same firmware file).

I have to go to work and then to class but I'll try to see if I can solve the
problem later and post some results.

I use rechargeable batteries too but I use Rayovac Renewals, Manganese Alkaline
which have a full-charge open-circuit voltage of 1.55 and a fairly linear
discharge curve (sloping downward, of course).

I don't use NiMH rechargeables because their full-charge open-circuit voltage is
1.25 per cell and have a flat discharge curve until eventually (without warning)
it drops down to a low value.

I wonder if your batteries reached the knee of the drop-off, where the voltage
was too low to sustain the RCX, yet the motors could still continue to run.

Jerry