 Robotics / 25975
Re: RCX Virus?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 19 May 2006 19:09:46 GMT

Jonathan Spitz wrote:
ok, I finally got to trying some of the stuff you recommended.

But (critically) not ALL of the stuff!

I recharged the
batteries and tried downloading the firmware.

What I suggested was that your rechargable batteries are at the
end of their lifespan.

Buy a set of regular NON-RECHARGEABLE batteries and see if everything
works OK then.

If it does then toss out your rechargeables and buy a new set.

It can run the whole program
without the motors being plugged in. It can even run the program with all motors
plugged in but not connected to any mechanism. However, when I try to run the
program with all 3 motors connected and in place, the RCX goes off and the
motors keep going.

That's definitely a symptom of dying batteries.  They can't take the
load of driving your mechanism - the voltage drops - and because
rechargeables don't produce as much voltage as non-rechargeables in the
first place - the voltage drops enough to crash the computer inside the
RCX.  The motors never get told to stop - and they can work at any
voltage (they just get slower and slower) - so they keep going.

So - go buy a set of normal, non-rechargeable batteries, if everything
works OK with those then buy a complete new set of rechargeables and
throw the old ones away.

They don't last forever.