 Robotics / 25966
Re: RCX Virus?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 16 May 2006 20:45:28 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
Hello Jonathan,

Is there maybe some problem with my program? Maybe some virus got into my RCX or
No, it is extremely improbable! Here is the only "virus" for RCX I know:
http://www.restena.lu/convict/Jeunes/tiny_mini_worm/tiny_mini_worm.htm

...and it requires some cooperation so that it can spread!

is it really time to think of buying a new one?

I don't think so. Did you have very heavy load on all three motor outputs? if
so, there is a possibility that you burnt the input fuse of your RCX.

Philo

The original firmware is a very stable piece of software. The only moment that
we ever had serious problems with it was linked to our robot GASTON while being
used in the same room with a 10 desktop Mindstorms robotics course. Some
parasite IR transmission from the RCXs destroyed parts of the firmware code in
one or both RCXs that control GASTON.

As the author of the only RCX virus, I can affirm that it is quite difficult to
write RCX malicious code. So, I doubt that you are the victim of any RCX virus.
To precise things, my purpose was to show that the H8 von Neumann architecture
allows self-replicating code. The virus was written with Ultimate ROBOLAB. It
does not harm the RCX at all. It only replaces the firmware with another one
that tells the RCX to propagate itself. Additionally there are some tests to
see, if other colleagues are already sending. The program does not wait for RCX
replies, so it may not transmit correctly. But, on the other hand it may infect
more RCX at the same time. Note that RCXs must be placed near each other.