 Robotics / 25900
Re: NXT Sound Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 6 May 2006 00:13:56 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:
In lugnet.robotics, Brian Davis wrote:

   Using the NXT as a tuning fork is right out, as far as I can see. The
electronics might be up for it, but there are too many other complicating
issues.

Hmmm is there a "raw data" mode for the sound sensor? Seems to me, it may be
possible (maybe not yet but one day) to write a program that does FFT analysis,
as long as it can get the raw wave data from the sensor.

I'm assuming the "tone mode" does something along those lines in hardware, but
it sounds (oops sorry pun) like it may be a little limited.

There is a curious 6th wire connection from the sound sensor which sends analog
sound to the CPU. I am assuming that using some 3rd party firmware, it might be
possible to digitize and process sound data. But I think turning the CPU into a
DSP would rule out all the other processing which needs to take place to perform
as a NXT handling bluetooth, USB, 4 channels of bit banged I2C, motor loop
control etc at the same time. There are only so many CPU cycles available in
every second :)

JB