 Robotics / 25884
Re: NXT Sound Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 15:02:25 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Tim Byrne wrote:

In addition to distinguishing decibel levels...

   Which it does pretty well, maxing out around 100 dB.

they mentioned it featured "tone recognition"... What have
the privileged been able to accomplish with the sound
sensor?

   Not as much (yet!) as I'd like. The sound sensor has two modes familier to
folks who work with dB noise levels. One is a "flat" frequency response curve,
and one is a frequency response curve that more closely mimics how a human hears
sounds. The result is some difference in response between those two modes in
certain frequency ranges (the difference seems greatest below 800 Hz). There are
two big problems with this method of detecting "tone" information. First, the
sensor takes a significant amount of time to switch between modes. And second,
while I can get reasonably good data using pure tones (I used a signal generator
from work to get response curves), most sound sources are, well... noisy. For
instance, have an RCX play a continuously rising series of tones at what is a
suppossedly constant volume, and you'll easily hear a lot of volume variation:
the NXT has to deal with this as well, and resonances within the casework or
structure you build, etc. And human voices are even tougher to deal with.
   My goal is to be able to sing a series of high/low tones, and have the NXT
recognize the sequence. So far I need to working on my singing voice (not to
mention become a deep base... and no, before somebody asks, I've *already* had
my voice change, I can't depend on that :).

   Using the NXT as a tuning fork is right out, as far as I can see. The
electronics might be up for it, but there are too many other complicating
issues.

--
Brian Davis