 Robotics / 25898
Re: NXT Sound Sensor
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 5 May 2006 22:35:07 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ross Crawford wrote:

Hmmm is there a "raw data" mode for the sound sensor?

   The raw mode still just returns one number - essentially the integrated sound
energy, where the weighting function is determined by the sensor mode (dB or
dBA) and is all done on-board the sound sensor itself, not in the NXT.

Seems to me, it may be possible... to write a program
that does FFT analysis, as long as it can get the raw
wave data from the sensor.

   You only have the raw "level" data, and even then the time resolution is poor
for something like an FFT of a human voice. *And*, switching between modes (dB
to dBA and back again) takes a significantly longer delay than the normal
sampling interval.

--
Brian Davis