 Robotics / 24347
Re: self-propagating RCX program
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 9 Sep 2005 21:27:23 GMT

On 09/09/05, Steve Hassenplug <Steve@teamhassenplug.org> wrote:
On Fri, September 9, 2005 1:07 pm, danny staple wrote:
On 09/09/05, Steve Hassenplug <Steve@teamhassenplug.org> wrote:

However, I think making a self-replicating robot from LEGO is not
realistic.

I think efforts to build a Lego Robot that builds simple Lego models
have been made, and sucessfully, but only for fairly simple assemblies
( a 4 peice Lego "Duck").

You're right.  If it's possible to design a robot that can build a four piece
duck,
it must be possible to design a robot that can build a robot that can build
other
robots.  How many parts can these robots have anyway?  Maybe a couple hundred.
That's only fifty times as many as a duck.

Still, I think I'll stand by my claim that making a self-replicating robot
from LEGO
is not realistic.

Steve

I agree with you that it is probably not realistic, but that wont stop
me having fun trying.

I would like to build a robot that can build stuff, though I will
probably not use the RCX to control it - something with many more
outputs and sensors would be required. Still - we already build Lego
tools for stuff like pushing out pins and such - so although it is far
away, it is along a path people have already started down.

I get the feeling though that building a robot to assemble using Lego
peices is easier than one to mould or assemble non-Lego.

OrionRobots
--
http://orionrobots.co.uk - Build Robots