 Robotics / 23237
Re: RCX IR Transceiver and Sensor Port Circuits
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 4 Jan 2005 17:50:36 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Stef Mientki wrote:
   Mark Bellis wrote:

   In lugnet.robotics, Stef Mientki wrote:

   sorry my lego pages are mess , but does this help ?

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/LegoKnex/Legoelectronica/IRtower/IRtower.htm

Stef

Stef,

Please feel free to include my schematic in your page. Perhaps it fills a couple of gaps left by those already there.

Mark
Thanks Mark, it’s on my page, but as I said it’s mess, so it’s on a slightly different page:

http://oase.uci.kun.nl/~mientki/LegoKnex/Legoelectronica/IRtower/irtower.html

I’ll hope to rearrange my Lego Website in one of the next months, but first I’ve to write a decent html editor ;-)

cheers, Stef

Here’s the (hopefully) finished circuit diagram for the IR Transceiver, complete with semiconductor component types and bold lines. I changed the supply rail voltage to concide with the zener diode voltage.

There’s also a space on the board for an extra capacitor. Perhaps two capacitors were proposed originally or supply was uncertain.

Stef, please swap the pictures over to put the final version on your page.

I’ll probably draw what I have of the RCX sensor port circuit next. This won’t be a complete RCX circuit! There would be little point anyway, since so much of the work is done by the processor.

I recommend the book “More Advanced Robotice with Lego Mindstorms” by Robert Penfold for those who wish to make their own sensors. It includes an equivalent circuit of a sensor port as well as general passive and active sensor circuits and a few homebrew sensors of his own design. Bernard Babani publishing Ltd December 2000 ISBN 0859349020.

After taking my RCX apart too often I had to solder the battery terminals to the PCB to get it working reliably again - it used to lose supply, with the inevitable requirement to download the firmware every time :-(

I found the answer to my earlier transistor question for the RC tower. It is a high speed (1GHz) BF547 NPN transistor of the usual pin-out, so my suspicions were correct.

Mark