 Robotics / 22147
Re: Brute Force Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 29 Jan 2004 01:04:24 GMT

Hi,

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, Mark Tarrabain wrote:

As long as we're wishing... I'd prefer something that had an open bus
with several slots into which miscellaneous cards could be inserted
(perhaps something like PCI or PCMCIA), each capable of controlling some
number of devices for input or output.  You could have sensor cards that
can each manage some number of sensors and motor controller cards that
could each manage some number of motors.  You could mix and match them
in any quantity (up to the limit on the number of total slots, of
course) as desired for the robot's purpose.

PC104.

I especially like the New Micros Inc products. They start at as little as
$40 for a 8051 based system. You'll need to build a power supply (about
$10 and 15 minutes with a soldering iron) and a I/O cables (another $10
and 15 minutes). Comes with monitor, asssembler, BASIC, C, and Forth
support.

http://www.newmicros.com/

Another company I'm a major fan of is EMJ,

http://wwwemjembedded.com

-- --

Open Forge, LLC  24/365 Onsite Support for PCs, Networks, & Game Consoles
512-695-4126 (Austin, Tx.)  help@open-forge.com  irc.open-forge.com

Hangar 18  Open Source Distributed Computing Using Plan 9 & Linux
512-451-7087  http://open-forge.org/hangar18  irc.open-forge.org

James Choate  512-451-7087  ravage@ssz.com  jchoate@open-forge.com