 Robotics / 22143
Re: Brute Force Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 28 Jan 2004 19:42:23 GMT

Henrik Johansson wrote:

Now this is what we want, isn't it?

http://www.hitechnic.com/development_lab.htm

Thous guys at Hitechnic sure know how to make a LEGO-roboter drool.

/Henrik

As long as we're wishing... I'd prefer something that had an open bus
with several slots into which miscellaneous cards could be inserted
(perhaps something like PCI or PCMCIA), each capable of controlling some
number of devices for input or output.  You could have sensor cards that
can each manage some number of sensors and motor controller cards that
could each manage some number of motors.  You could mix and match them
in any quantity (up to the limit on the number of total slots, of
course) as desired for the robot's purpose.

Sensor and motor cards would only be the beginning... you could have
cards that interface with more conventional computer equipment via USB
or firewire buses, ethernet or wireless networking cards, pretty much
anything you could imagine.

And of course, all this would be encapsulated in a nice, friendly,
Lego-compatible case that is rugged enough to be used in less than
perfect environmental conditions, as LEGO should be.

I can't see it ever actually happenning though.  Parents would never buy
such a thing for their kids because it would simply be too expensive.
Mindstorms is already pushing the price envelope as it is.  The device
I've described above would likely be, even by itself, more than twice as
expensive as even the most expensive retail LEGO set.