 Robotics / 22263
Re: Brute Force Brick
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 4 Mar 2004 18:27:06 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Henrik Johansson wrote:
Now this is what we want, isn't it?

http://www.hitechnic.com/development_lab.htm

Those guys at Hitechnic sure know how to make a LEGO-roboter drool.

I've had a couple people ask me about this.  I was lucky enough to get ahold of
one of the prototypes.  Let me see if I can answer a couple questions.

[Q: How is it programmed?]
A: The software is set-up much like the RCX.  John wrote a compiler that
converts programs written in "BC" (which is a very old language, that he
created, I believe) to assembly.  These programs run on a kernal (also written
by John), like BrickOS.  We've talked about having firmware that could be
compatable with the RCX op-codes, but I doubt that will happen unless they go
into mass-production.  But, this would allow people to use programs written for
an RCX directly on a BFB.

[Q: Is this for sale?/How can I get one?]
A: John said right now he has no plans to mass-produce it.  There are two things
preventing him from selling them.
   1) TLC has stopped selling electric plates.  (these are required for the
external connections)
   2) Cost.  How many people would pay $300 for one of these?  (that's just a
REALLY rough guess.)

So, how much would you be willing to pay for one of these?

I know, it would be cooler if it had infinitely expandable I/O, or had more than
1mb RAM, or was faster that 25mhz...    but that's not the question.

Steve

ps, these aren't "Official" answers.  I don't work for Hi-Technic.  I just play
with their toys...