 Robotics / 21689
RE: HELP, please! USB tower problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 15:40:32 GMT

Until you try the IR tower on another computer (that is not identical to
yours), you have no way of knowing if the tower is the problem is in the
USB device or in the USB chipset.

At this point, I'd cut my losses (and time) short and spend $25 on a
serial IR tower from Pitsco.

-----Original Message-----
From: Ruth [mailto:ruth_pozuelo@hotmail.com]
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2003 10:00 AM
To: lego-robotics@crynwr.com
Subject: Re: HELP, please! USB tower problems

<<Hi,

<<I am running out of options. If there are any service packs to apply
pls do <<so and give it a try. I think the best option is uninstall and
start from <<scratch. This doesn't sound good but I myself don't have
any options.

<<Wish you best.

<<Welcome to the plug and struggle world.

<<Alex Jayasundara

Hello Alex,

Here is what I think might be causing my problem. I read it on the
internet.(this is my Chipset:VIA Technologies Inc VT8366/A, VT8367
Apollo KT266/A, KT 333 CPU to PCI Bridge)

And this is the problem reported on the internet:

"I'm starting to believe the claims of a problem with the VIA PCI bus. I
believe I know which timer is interrupting the bus, and I know how to
disable the timer, but I believe that SoundBlaster audio will suffer if
I do. If I'm right, then the problem is as follows. VIA's PCI controller
contains an "arbitration" timer that will detect when a PCI device has
used the bus too long. This timer should be triggered when another
device needs to use the PCI bus. But VIA's timer is being triggered when
no other device needs the bus. As a result, no device can continuously
use the bus for longer than the length of the timer. I wish I could
prove whether another device needed the bus and triggered this timer,
but I don't have the tools to do so."

This is what happens to me, so I guess is the chipset that is preventing
my usb port from functioning correctly. Well, I have no idea how to
solve this, so i guess I will have to continue doing some reading on the
net and installing patches (arrghhhhhh).

Thanks for you help Alex, any further help on the matter will be greatly
appreciatted.

Ruth