 Robotics / 21700
21699  |  21701
Subject:
Read Receipt requested from "Chris" messages
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 20:55:44 GMT

Just about every time I read a message from "Chris" in this newsgroup, my
browser asks if I want to send a reply indicating I received the message.

I have some problems with this. First of all I don't like having e-mail
trigger unexpected activity. I do use and reply to "request read receipt" on
individual e-mail when appropriate. I just don't think it is appropriate for
messages sent to a news group!

The problem is that each person who reads the message, AMONG THE ENTIRE NEWS
GROUP, is going to have to click the receipt requested button when they read
the message--and decide whether to send a reply to Chris indicating that
they read his message.

Another thing is that it gives out the e-mail address to 'chris' of each
person who READS this, including the time read, as opposed to simply having
e-mail addresses given when someone sends to the group or newsgroup. (It
would seem like a lot of e-mail to 'chris' just in the receipts alone, not a
particularly desirable thing for either Chris or the readers.)

It would appear that Chris has his Outlook Express set up under 'tools'
'options' on the "recepts" tab to request a receipt from each message with
the "request a read receipt for all sent messages" box ste. So this applies
to all messages, even messages sent to this group. (Or else he is clicking
on 'tools' "Request Read Receipt" for each message sent to this group.)

Is everyone else getting these receipt requested prompts? Does anyone else
have a problem wtih this?

Thanks
Gordon Elliott