 Robotics / 21688
Re: HELP, please! USB tower problems
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 25 Nov 2003 14:59:33 GMT

<<Hi,

<<I am running out of options. If there are any service packs to apply pls do
<<so and give it a try. I think the best option is uninstall and start from
<<scratch. This doesn't sound good but I myself don't have any options.

<<Wish you best.

<<Welcome to the plug and struggle world.

<<Alex Jayasundara

Hello Alex,

Here is what I think might be causing my problem. I read it on the
internet.(this is my Chipset:VIA Technologies Inc VT8366/A, VT8367 Apollo
KT266/A, KT 333 CPU to PCI Bridge)

And this is the problem reported on the internet:

"I'm starting to believe the claims of a problem with the VIA PCI bus. I believe
I know which timer is interrupting the bus, and I know how to disable the timer,
but I believe that SoundBlaster audio will suffer if I do. If I'm right, then
the problem is as follows. VIA's PCI controller contains an "arbitration" timer
that will detect when a PCI device has used the bus too long. This timer should
be triggered when another device needs to use the PCI bus. But VIA's timer is
being triggered when no other device needs the bus. As a result, no device can
continuously use the bus for longer than the length of the timer. I wish I could
prove whether another device needed the bus and triggered this timer, but I
don't have the tools to do so."

This is what happens to me, so I guess is the chipset that is preventing my usb
port from functioning correctly. Well, I have no idea how to solve this, so i
guess I will have to continue doing some reading on the net and installing
patches (arrghhhhhh).

Thanks for you help Alex, any further help on the matter will be greatly
appreciatted.

Ruth