 Robotics / 20753
Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic, lugnet.robotics
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 19:40:31 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Jennifer Clark writes:
"Tobbe Arnesson" <StPnAtM@lotek.nu> wrote in message

So there is no system to "suck" it back in apart from ol' gravity? True • they
are almost always used to tip lorry beds and rise elevators and such.

While some are certainly single acting, double acting versions are
available:

  http://www.fireservice.co.uk/equipmentrta.php

There are better examples than this kicking around, I found one a while ago
with an exploded diagram showing the inner workings. It made my head hurt
trying to work it out.

The double acting ones seem to be used where gravity is not available for
closing,
such as applications on ejector "tipping" mechanisms used on dustcarts etc.

Jennifer

Jennifer, Tobbe, Other interested 'Air Heads';

I have used Robart tubing and "T" couplers with the Lego pneumatic cylinders,
valves, etc. The tubing is not quite as flexable as the Lego tubing but it
works pretty well.  The barbed "T"s are a good match.  The Robart parts are
available at most local hobby shops or can be ordered from:
http://www.towerhobbies.com.

I visited the Robart web site and found what might be a gold mine of Lego
compatible pneumatic goodies.  The cylinders operate from a "Recommended
Operating Air Pressure" of 80 to 110 psi.  Much higher than the Lego system
which is 20 to 45 psi. However - that higher pressure is used to generate 11
pounds of thrust from the cylinders.  I would think that the cylinders will
work at the lower pressures - but - I havn't tried them yet.  I am sure that
the tubing, valves, couplers, tanks, etc. will work at the lower pressures.

By the way - the valves only require 1/4" movement to actuate them but I am not
sure how much force is required.

The web site for their Air System products is:
http://robart.com/New%20Pages/Air%20System.html
Instructions that show how to connect the control valve to the cylinders and
how to couple an RC servo to the control valve are refered to on:
http://robart.com/Air%20Systems/Air%20Kits.html

Enjoy!

Irv Stafford  (So. Calif. AFOL)