 Technic / 10352
Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Tue, 13 May 2003 12:27:10 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gregory Muri writes:
I was just curious if anybody had ever tried to make any custom length
cylinders that were functional with the Lego pneumatics.  I was thinking
about it the other day and it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult.

     It might be more difficult than you'd think.  If you try to splice two
tubes together you could very easily ruin the integrity of the internal seal
(either by creating a bump where it'll catch or a void where it'll lose its
seal), causing your cylinder to stall out when it hits the midway point.
Also, extending the existing shaft would require either welding or brazing,
either of which will pretty much destroy any attached plasticky bits.  If
you're interested in doing this, you'd probably need to find tube and shaft
to match the existing cylinder, completely strip the existing tube and shaft
from the cylinder you want to extend, and swap the new pieces in.  If the
pneumatic cylinders had wholly seperate end-blocks it would be a lot easier,
but the one that I've got in front of me (Mindstorms: Universal Building
Set) has the tube formed into the bricky end-block, and has special clips
and the opposing pneumatic fitting formed into the other end.  This means
that in order to extend that cylinder, you'd need to cut it in the middle,
true up the ends, splice in a third section, and somehow manage to polish
the joints smooth on the inside with something flexible that could fit
through a hole that's just under 1/16" in diameter.  It would be far easier
to build a series of unmodified pneumatic cylinders (I know of a company
that does it for pushers on conveyor systems).