 Technic / 10365
Re: Custom Pneumatic Parts
Newsgroups:
lugnet.technic
Date:
Wed, 14 May 2003 14:54:12 GMT

In lugnet.technic, Gregory Muri writes:
Hi everyone,

I was just curious if anybody had ever tried to make any custom length
cylinders that were functional with the Lego pneumatics.  I was thinking
about it the other day and it seems like it shouldn't be that difficult.

McMaster-Carr and several othe parts suppliers sell pneumatic air cylinders
with a variety of strokes...from less than 1" to more than 12".  The most
suitable ones to LEGO application (AFAIK) that I found in the catalog are
made from a wound glass fiber composite with Delrin plastic end caps and
stainless steel rods.  They are double acting, with a maximum pressure of
150 psi.  The ends of the rod are threaded, so you could drill and tap the
LEGO piece of your choice to attach to the end.  The smallest ones provide
15 lbs of force at 100 psi...so I'm guessing that gives about 5 lbs at 30-35
psi (normal LEGO pneumatic max pressure).  With a larger bore, you could
bring the force to 15 or 30 lb.  The cylinders range in price from $20 to
$33 a piece.

http://www.mcmaster.com/
in the search box, type in 7449k1 and the click on the catalog page link.

They also have stainless steel pistons which can handle higher pressure and
are a bit cheaper, but probably quite a bit heavier.
For information on those (and a cutaway drawing), type in 6498kac in the
search box.

Hope that helps.
--Bram

Bram Lambrecht