 Robotics / 20523
RE: sensors, actuators, and software, oh my!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 16:26:36 GMT

From: Dan Novy

There are standard signals or influencers (?) like light,
temperature, atmospheric pressure, radio signals, tv signals, any RF
stuff, etc. We were interested in what other people thought.
    So, the question is, standing in a room, or in an open field, how
many signals/influence fields are passing through you at any
one time, ready to be sampled?

hmmmm... these jump to mind:

Human "sensors":
a) global/positional(2D) Light Level
(also 3D because we move our head/eyes taking notice of
the sampling vector)

b) global/positional(stereo) Sound Frequency/Level
(might also be considered 3D because of head movement,
taking samples in diferent vectors)

c) Smell = natural low-resolution spectometry ???

d) positional Touch/Pressure Level
e) global/positional Temperature level
f) Humidity level
g) Vibration = high-sampling d)
h) fluid/air flow sensing = d)+e)+f)

i) Balance(3D) <- aided by k)
j) Motion sensing <- aided by a)+b)+c)+h)+i)+k)
k) Vision = high-resolution a) + image interpretation leading to:
l) Surrounding environment 3D mapping acting like a virtual "sensor"
...a bit like a natural GPS substitute to the important question:
"where am I ?" with the added bonus of "where are you all ?"

m) feedback from almost all actuators (muscles) we have
(Extremely important data !)

n) energy level ;) -> "Am I tired ? hungry ?"

Artificial, usually used in robotics
o) Positional analysis of all radiation spectrum
(ex: simple 1 touch pressure sensing, low/high vibration, infrared,
visible light, ultra-violet, RF, X ray, etc...)
p) ...combined with positional generation of these, leads to
Radar/Lidar/Sonar type of positional feedback analysis
q) Artificial positional data (beacon based. eg: GPS)
r) Actuators feedback (energy spent, % of action)

etc...

mc.