 Robotics / 20590
Re: sensors, actuators, and software, oh my!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 14 Apr 2003 15:40:11 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Jim Choate <ravage@einstein.ssz.com> writes:
On Thu, 3 Apr 2003, Steve Baker wrote:

Dan Novy wrote:
   So, the question is, standing in a room, or in an open field, how
many signals/influence fields are passing through you at any one time,
ready to be sampled?

More than 3, which is the number of sensor inputs on a Mindstorms brick. :-)

A: How many detectors do you have and what are their transfer functions?

The reality is that it is the number of -observers- which matters.

I see that you adopt the modern relativist view .  I agree to the extent
that it depends on the number of RCX bricks present because they only have
three sensor inputs each. :-)

If you approach it from the other direction, all radio, light, X-rays,
Cell-phone signals, Cosmic rays, etc are Electromagnetic waves - and
those can (in principle) exist at all frequences from the very longest
to the very highest.

Actually not. There is a limit on the highest frequency related to the
Plank scale. You can only get so small and then the concept of distance
gets rather modular (not to mention that as the frequency goes up so does
the energy per photon, which is limited by E=mc^2). With regard to the
longest, it is limited by the size/age of the universe and the speed of c.
Then you've got the expansion effect which over time lowers all
frequencies in relation to the size of the cosmos.

A simpler way to say this is that radiation through X-Ray frequencies is an
electromagnetic wave, while radiation above X-Ray frequencies is particle
matter (e.g. Beta particles are helium nuclei).

Gravity is a different force - and since it's waves are not really
detectably right now, it doesn't appear as anything other than a force
in a direction - without a 'frequency'.

Gravity is the interaction of matter and space (I really don't think of it
as a force like the others but more an effect) and has no 'intermediate
vector boson' per se. So it is actually likely that thinking of 'gravity'
and 'frequency' is just confused.

Actually, gravity waves are detectable with the right equipment.  A simple
way to think of this is that gravity varies according to location in space,
especially altitude.  The 'frequency' is naturally expressed in spatial
units, not temporal units.

Regards,

Michael Pender
Executive Manager