 Robotics / 20549
Re: sensors, actuators, and software, oh my!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 4 Apr 2003 02:21:09 GMT

Well, I'm guessing your ideas run the gamut of all the standard RF
human-generated signals.  It might be fun to track satellites, even if you
can't decode their signals, I think most are just UHF.

Besides standard radio transmissions, there is ULF, or ultra-low
frequencies, and even audio-frequency radio to listen for (most of it is
purely naturally occuring, and not white noise either).  Other things to
measure might be vibrations, you could try all kinds of neat triangulation
exercises with that (ok, maybe that's over a 10-year-old's head ;-).  Far
infra-red (heat) is always there to tinker with.

Dan

"Dan Novy" <lego-robotics@crynwr.com> wrote in message
    Up for discussion.

    So, while discussing  "the next big project," my ten year old and I
tried to come up with a complete list of all the possible "signals"
available at any one time that could be incorporated into a robot,
whether practical, or useful or not.  Questions like, "Does gravity
count as a signal? It's "on" all the time, can be used to create motion,
etc.  There are standard signals or influencers (?) like light,
temperature, atmospheric pressure, radio signals, tv signals, any RF
stuff, etc. We were interested in what other people thought.
    So, the question is, standing in a room, or in an open field, how
many signals/influence fields are passing through you at any one time,
ready to be sampled?

--
Dan Novy
Technical Supervisor