 Robotics / 20600
Re: sensors, actuators, and software, oh my!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 15 Apr 2003 04:24:13 GMT

Nick Tarleton <nickptar@mindspring.com> wrote in message
Michael Pender wrote:

A simpler way to say this is that radiation through X-Ray frequencies is
an electromagnetic wave, while radiation above X-Ray frequencies is
particle matter (e.g. Beta particles are helium nuclei).
Beta particles are electrons, alphas are helium nuclei.

My bad - I always get those two confused.

Neither is
electromagnetic - they are actual particles with mass, whereas photons • have
no or nearly no mass. Gamma rays, however, are high-energy enough to see
gamma-ray photons as discrete (but nearly massless!) particles. Picture it
as a short snippet of a wave.

But gamma radiation has a wavelength less than the minimum atomic radius, so
they can't be emitted by electrons changing energy levels (like normal
electromagnetic waves).

Actually, gravity waves are detectable with the right equipment.  A • simple
way to think of this is that gravity varies according to location in
space,
especially altitude.  The 'frequency' is naturally expressed in spatial
units, not temporal units.
Totally different thing. If you shake your hand really fast, you make very
low frequency gravity waves that propagate through spacetime like ripples
in a pond (I think.) They have a frequency in peaks/time, just like any
other wave. However, it is not known whether there is such a thing as a
graviton (which would be the coveted IVB here) or whether gravity is just • a
bending of spacetime. Ask a superstring theorist.

Looked at another way, a gravity wave could be generated by moving a large
mass (e.g. earthquakes)  since the wave as a function of time is caused by
the displacement of mass over the same period of time.

Take care,

- Mike