 Robotics / 20468
Re: Just a little info......
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 22:43:15 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, John Barnes writes:
We (HiTechnic) have stopped building and supplying product as a result of
becoming victims of our own success. The volume of business simply got too
large for us to handle.

Thats too bad. I suppose we could blame it on Steve Hassenplug :) All of
that media coverage with the Legway can only increase demand :) But
seriously, its too bad things became overwhelming.

The economics of low volume fine assembly work are very difficult to deal
with.

I might also add that the economics of extreme generosity are difficult to
deal with. When I got in touch with John earlier this year about a project I
was working on, he immediately showed an interest and was very helpful. I
ended up getting a bunch of sensors and custom components free of charge! I
know Steve has a similar story. While this generosity is greatly
appreciated, I sure hope it wasn't part of the downfall of HiTechnic.

Living within the constriants of being required to glue and mill
bricks to make enclosures within the limits of the kind of expertise
available and time limitations which apply make the whole process run very
close to break even as opposed to realising any kind of profit which would
be a prerequisite to encouraging anyone else (other than an AFOL like me) to
take a serious interest in the product range.

Yeah, I guess with all of the fine work that goes into the products its hard
to make a profit.

I have not given up!

I really hope things work out somehow. You have designed some excellent
sensors that really push the limits of what can be done with Lego robotics.

Rob