 Robotics / 20461
20460  |  20462
Subject:
Future of Hitechnic products - a possible option and question
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 18:00:00 GMT

At 05:07 PM 3/27/2003 +0000, John Barnes wrote:
The economics of low volume fine assembly work are very difficult to deal
with. Living within the constriants of being required to glue and mill
bricks to make enclosures within the limits of the kind of expertise
available and time limitations which apply make the whole process run very
close to break even as opposed to realising any kind of profit which would
be a prerequisite to encouraging anyone else (other than an AFOL like me) to
take a serious interest in the product range. • <snip>
It is my hope, that if and when things slow down a little, I may be able to
presuade the powers that be here to diversify. If that happens, then there
will be a resumption in supply. If that does not happen, then I will place
the necessary intellectual property into the public domain.

We have not looked at the economics, so <warning> what follows is pure
speculation </warning>.

Would you be interested in exploring the option of having us take over
production? We have access to the necessary CNC machine tools and assembly
staff. The question is - what it would cost for us to

The Hitechnic sensors would play very well with JCX (on which are making
daily progress - we've hired new staff to help finish this up).

I think it would be a great loss to the Lego community and to the robotics
community to lose a ready source of the Hitechnic products. If it makes
sense for us to help out and produce these great products (and it's not
clear if it does, or if Hitechnic would want us to), then we would consider
that.

Here's an open question - if we were to produce the most important/popular
Hitechnic products, what would they be?

Sincerely
Bruce Boyes
Systronix