 Robotics / 20467
20466  |  20468
Subject:
AAAI Spring Symposium on Using Robots for AI Education
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 27 Mar 2003 16:55:46 GMT

Proposal for AAAI Spring 2004 Symposium:

"AI education with low-cost robotic platforms."

Lloyd Greenwald of Drexel, Zach Dodds of Harvey Mudd College,
and I are organizing a AAAI symposium on

Now in the draft stage, we are seeking educators (especially of
undergraduates) who would like to learn from and share their
successes and trials with using inexpensive robots to convey
topics in AI, robotics, machine learning, computer vision, and
related fields.

Slated for April 2004, the symposium will be educational in focus.

We envision contributions of three basic types:

1. Step-by-step instructions for using well-established and/or
    novel low-cost platforms to teach topics in AI (et al.)

2. Inventory and directions for developing low-cost robot kits
     and managing ther use in the classroom

3. Guidance for curricular development that helps instructors
       choose platforms and material to meet their goals.

If you might be interested in such a symposium, please reply to
jweinbe@siue.edu to let me know.

Interest entails no obligation at all -- it simply
helps us and AAAI to assess the symposium's feasibility.

A complete description is at http://itcsl.cs.drexel.edu/ss2004/
if you would like more information.

I hope you consider joining us!

Regards,