 Robotics / 20314
RE: JCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 20:48:23 GMT

At 09:41 AM 2/11/2003 +0100, Roman Ontiyuelo wrote:

Hi all !!!

I am listening JCX, a new word in my small dictionary
I am listening too, more sensors and motors in only one
robot, really!!!!

Where can I see this moster??

http://jcx.systronix.com/

Where can I read more information about is??
When and where  can I buy one of them???

We are targeting 01 April

How much it cost???

Under $500 for some complete system, which we haven't fully defined yet. At
least
1) JSimm.JStamp CPU board with Jstamp
1a) optional JStik CPU board with ethernet interface
2) JCX motor board (4 outputs)
3) JCX sensor board (8 inputs, analog and digital, passive or active,
Lego(tm) compatible)
4) Lego style connector boards (2x2 studs)
5) 6-slot backplane
6) Development tools including Java IDE, sample programs, JTAG
debugging/programming adapter and tools license. Free upgrades to any of
that. You can also use the JTAG adapter to program Xilinx CPLDs and FPGAs.
You can also use your own favorite Java IDE, we accept any standard Java
class file. All the Java libraries for all the standard Lego sensors and
motors are included.
7) there is an OpenSource project called Embedlet Outpost at SourceForge.
They are working on a Graphical Wiring Tool to help you create programs if
you want a GUI type enviroment using symbols instead of writing "raw" Java
code:
http://embedlets.sourceforge.net/ or
https://sourceforge.net/projects/embedlets/

Items 2-4 are planned to be available 01 April. Items 1, 1a, 5 and most of
6 are available today.

After you buy one development kit then you can buy "OEM" modules and do
whatever you want with the individual pieces since you only need one tool
license per user (this license is with Sun and aJile, it does *not* go into
our pocket).

You can also buy everything *except* the JStamp or JStik CPU board and use
your own SimmStick CPU as long as it has a SPI interface. Or roll your own.
All the documentation to use the JCX I/O boards will be open. The alpha
version schematics are online already at http://jcx.systronix.com/

You can use multiple output and input boards until the backplane is full.
Six slots so:
1) CPU
2-6) any combination of sensors and motors: 12 (4x3) motors and 16 (8x2)
sensors for example. Or 8 motors and 24 sensors.

The JStamp CPU board has an IrDA option so it does real, true IrDA to a PDA
or other IrDA device. The IrDA is an open source "JIR" project at SourceForge:
http://jir.sourceforge.net/

mini XML parsers, etc already are available and run today. It's a standard
J2ME/CLDC system.

I have 3 RCX robots and I agree with you about RCX
comunication slow and I hate it too.

Perhaps someone can do a JSimm board to add RCX-style IR communication to
JCX so that they can all be integrated? We'll give a $100 gift certificate
to the first person who does and makes the design public. This development
can be done now with a JStamp or JStik dev kit.

Regards for all and please answer my questions!!

Thanks

Bruce

------- WWW.SYSTRONIX.COM ----------
   Real embedded Java and much more