 Robotics / 20313
20312  |  20314
Subject:
RCX 3.0 vs. JCX = RCX 4.0+
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Tue, 11 Feb 2003 18:06:03 GMT

I like the JCX concept. When/If I had $500 to spend on it, I would.

I think of JCX as a RCX 4.0 or even 5.0

Before jumping to a 4.0 or a 5.0, I would like to have/see a RCX 3.0

So... if in TLC shoes I would do this:

RCX 3.0 = RCX 2.5 - battery compartment + Power Input port(1) + Memory(2) +
High Speed Data Comms Ports(3) + new firmware to support
"daisychain-network" commands

(1) accepting external batt compartment, rechargeable "pack" or mains
adapter like RCX 1.0
(2) double ? triple ?
(3) 1 input + 1 output wired data port. Be it mini-usb, be it ethernet, be
it LEGO proprietary 2wire data wires, whatever... if a standard 2x2 2wire is
used, then one could tell kids: use the BLACK wires for power ports, YELLOW
wires for sensor ports and RED/BLUE wires for RED(in)/BLUE(out) *comm*
ports.

The IR could be built-in like all RCX *or* could be the 1st of the
comm-modules connected to this daisy-chainable comm-port. Then, more
comm-modules could be issued, like cybermaster-compatible RF-module, or
anything more standard, like hard-wired RS-232, USB, proper IrDA, Bluetooth,
whatever comm-modules.

Yes, that's what I think we lack on a RCX 3.0. We have power output ports,
sensor input ports, but no proper way to expand it. We lack comms *ports* !
...there's no simple way to daisychain various RCX with strong and fast
comms. The IR's ok for slow, simple, in-sight comms, nothing more.

bottom line: 1st priority, we need a LEGO data bus.

mc.

PS: I know, I know all these are beaten to death ideas here :)