 Robotics / 20268
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 02:05:12 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Steve Baker <sjbaker1@airmail.net> writes:
  1) If it's going to use existing wires - it's going to be **HUGE**
     just because of the need to have 18 2x2 stud connectors on it.
  2) It's inflexible.  If I just want four motors, I still have to
     haul this massive lump around.  If I want two processors - I
     need two honking great lumps - even if I still need only two
     motors and one sensor.
  3) It's *STILL* limiting and goes against the modularity that makes
     Lego mechanics so attractive.

Is it going to be honking huge? A 12 x 8 stud box can support the required
number of I/Os. Compare with the RCX.

I understand the modularity issue. I am guessing my ideal basic module is
just bigger than yours which economizes on CPUs, power conditioning and
comms device costs in big systems where larger quantities (4+) units need to
be combined.

It's fun to plan how you'd do it - but ultimately, I doubt
it'll ever happen.

Yes its fun to imagine, fantasize and plan and that's why we're here
chatting about it :)

But I tend to think my interest is less in the "blue sky, what if" area, and
more in the "hmm, we could make those" area.

Don't get me wrong though - keep those great ideas flowing ....

JB