 Robotics / 20265
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 01:03:15 GMT

Despite this thread having become strangely fractured within the lugnet
system of threads,

and despite the intriguing "what if's" that always get aired when threads
like this are allowed to take wing,

I have a couple of rather down to earth questions/comments;

Since Lego doesn't make a modest sized mechanically compatible motor with
built in electronics to perform command decode and execution. (and you don't
want to investiagte the cost of producing your own!)

since there is a legacy of existing sensors out there

since there is a legacy of Lego two conductor wires out there

- shouldn't a possible RCX replacement try to maximise use of what is
already in people's hands?

What don't you like about the RCX? RCX-RCX comms speed and limited I/O.

What if you had a "good RCX" which had;

more motor outputs (6?)
more sensor inputs (12?)
more memory (512k?)
more CPU horse power (???)
RF based RCX-RCX comms

couldn't you build significantly more sophisticated robots with such a thing?

You only need one new part - the new RCX

as opposed to totally re-inventing everything and losing your current
investment.

Just my 2c worth...

JB