 Robotics / 20267
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 01:44:24 GMT

John Barnes wrote:

Since Lego doesn't make a modest sized mechanically compatible motor with
built in electronics to perform command decode and execution. (and you don't
want to investiagte the cost of producing your own!)

That's a good point...providing Lego carry on making them.

It comes down to who makes this wonderous hypothetical system.

* We'd hope that Lego would make it...then the motor design is
   a non-issue.

* If not - then I suppose we'd need a 'legacy output interface'
   contraption to make existing motors, lamps, etc work with the
   new system.

since there is a legacy of existing sensors out there

Ditto for sensors.

since there is a legacy of Lego two conductor wires out there

I don't have any particular attachment to the wires.

- shouldn't a possible RCX replacement try to maximise use of what is
already in people's hands?

What don't you like about the RCX? RCX-RCX comms speed and limited I/O.

What if you had a "good RCX" which had;

more motor outputs (6?)
more sensor inputs (12?)
more memory (512k?)
more CPU horse power (???)
RF based RCX-RCX comms

No - that would still be limiting:

   1) If it's going to use existing wires - it's going to be **HUGE**
      just because of the need to have 18 2x2 stud connectors on it.
   2) It's inflexible.  If I just want four motors, I still have to
      haul this massive lump around.  If I want two processors - I
      need two honking great lumps - even if I still need only two
      motors and one sensor.
   3) It's *STILL* limiting and goes against the modularity that makes
      Lego mechanics so attractive.

Most of the things I'd like to build wouldn't need anything like that
complexity - but some things would need a lot more than that.  Only
a completely modular system would cover the range from the small/light
robot that doesn't need even something as big as RCX - to the highly
complex contraption that needs considerably more.

Weight and balance are important in robotics - and ever increasing
monolithic chunks don't help that.

couldn't you build significantly more sophisticated robots with such a thing?

You could - but they still wouldn't come close to my imagination.

You only need one new part - the new RCX

Well, yes.  But it doesn't grab my imagination as a gigantic
leap forwards - it's not *enough* better than the existing
system.

I would imagine there would be quite a few people who'd be
interested in it though.  I just want something that's as
flexible and modular as Lego itself.  The problem is that
unless some largeish company comes up with the complete
system, it's never going to happen.  :-(

It's fun to plan how you'd do it - but ultimately, I doubt
it'll ever happen.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net