 Robotics / 20264
Re: RCX & RIS, a fading glory?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Fri, 7 Feb 2003 00:06:01 GMT

PeterBalch wrote:

You could still *OPTIONALLY* have support for human-friendly names...
cute graphical thing
LEGO ... just have clear building instructions
each device can electrically 'buffer' the signal before passing it
on to the next device in the chain, you don't get signal degradation.

I don't believe that degradation would be a problem. Even TTL-level "RS232"
works well over tens of metres.

It's not just a matter of distance - it's a matter of the electrical
load on the output of a single device.  TTL-type devices have a suprisingly
low limit on the number of inputs they can drive.  With a 'bus' type
device, that would limit you to the number of devices you could connect.

My suggested daisy-chain approach would have no such limits.

I think the cost is higher. The connectors need to be more complex -
because you have a separate "in" and "out" rather than a common bus. And
you'd need "Y" connections. The chip needs more I/O pins and more complex
software: it needs to pass on packets that aren't addressed to it (and
add/subtract 1 from the address). The chip must be able to receive and pass
on packets at any time whereas with a well-designed common bus, the chip
might be allowed simply not to answer if it's busy servicing its
peripheral.

Silicon is cheap - but I'll agree that a second connector adds to the
cost.

I think a lot depends on who is building this and for what market.

As a small-run geek toy, you could tolerate quite a lot of configuration
hassles in order that you could use off-the-shelf parts.

OTOH, if this is a big run - of Lego Mindstorms-like proportions - then
you can consider specially engineered parts and connectors - but the
configuration has to be incredibly simple.

It's a tough trade-off.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
HomePage : http://www.sjbaker.org
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net