 Robotics / 20023
Re: Received my RIS 2.0 - the two motors run at different speed! :-(((
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 12 Jan 2003 11:25:12 GMT

So, the ratio of the distances travelled by the two wheels is is
2xPIx5.15 : 2xPIx5 ...which is... 5.15:5 ...which is... 1.03:1... which
represents a 3% difference in motor speeds.  Which is fairly typical
for any pair of motors picked at random.

CONCLUSIONS:
~~~~~~~~~~~~

You have a nicely matched set of motors.  Your next set *could* be four
times as bad...some of my motors differ by 11% !

Keep them! Treasure them!  Show your geek friends what *great* motor
matching you have!

Once again, thanks for making all the calculations for me...
Anyway, at the very least, I'll test all four of my other regular gear
motors in a mindstorms robot. If I'm lucky to find a pair that are of equal
speed, I'll use them in my mindstorms kit instead... at the expense of
slightly heavier robots.

And I did read the motor comparison analysis posted a few weeks ago, that
was a *very* interesting read, if I remember correctly the regular geared
motors are slightly stronger than the mindstorms motor, on average.