 Robotics / 20013
Re: Received my RIS 2.0 - the two motors run at different speed! :-(((
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 16:57:48 GMT

Well - it's a matter of degree.  If one runs half the speed of the other - then
it's obviously faulty - send it back.  If one runs 10% slower than the other,
then that's just how it is.

Somewhere between 10% slower and half the speed is the point where you'd
have to regard the thing as 'broken'.

I have a dozen supposedly identical motors - and there is an 11% spread
between their speeds. (Admittedly, these are the older geared motors -
I don't have numbers for the newer ones).

It's definitely higher than 10%. When my rover is running far enough, it's
turning right enough to form a triangle whose side ratio is about 1 length
for every 6 traveled, so it's somewhere between 15% and 20% difference.

I will call Lego monday and ask if I can send back *both* motors, to ensure
they will send me back two motors, hopefully they will have tested them.

If they refuse, I guess I'll have to eat my cake and live with it, or buy
some spare motors.