 Robotics / 20016
Re: I2C device for the RCX
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 11 Jan 2003 18:28:42 GMT

Steve,

Very good suggestions!

Note though that there is always a chance that in interrupt from one of
the peripherals could cause BrickOS to take control of the CPU for a short
time - so delays may *sometimes* be a little longer than that.  So timing
loops can only ensure that we've waited AT LEAST THE MINIMUM amount of time
and not that the time is exactly right.  That's another reason not to use
them for longer delays when BrickOS's timers would work.

Bastiaan v.Kesteren,

I second Steve's recommendation, using loops for timing between command
segments.  You will not get very far using BrickOS msleep because of the
1ms minimum timing.  Also, you may find the assembly lang. command NOP
useful.

Once you get the code setup using timing loops, you may also want to
consider wrapping the critical code segments with a critical section.
Note: there is a special critical section for blocking task swaps.  It
is only available to kernel code, but the driver should qualify  8-)

Email me for more information about the critical section (remove spamblock).

I am very interested in the possibilities of this!
// Joe