 Robotics / 1981
1980  |  1982
Subject:
LOGO with Mindstorms
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 31 Dec 1998 14:18:18 GMT

Hi, I've just bought Mindstorms to implement a long-standing urge of mine:
to acquire a Logo turtle for educational purposes.  Seymore Papaert was a
long-time proposent of LOGO and directed many thesis on its use in
exploring and enhancing the development oa primarily
quantitative/mathematical concepts in children.  He and others used,
perticularly in their early work, a small processor mounted on a circular
plate covered with a plexiglass half-sphere.  Beneath the plate extend two
wheels, independently driven, pointing in the same direction, ("head' to
"Tail").  In addition there is a ball-point pen which can be set down to
leave a trail or picked up to stop the trail.  By running the two wheels
in the same direction the turtle could go "forward" or "back".  By turning
the wheels in opposite directions, the tutle could rotate "right" or
"left".  That set of four commands plus "penup" and "pendown" allowed the
programmer to draw designs on the table/floor, build small commands such
as "triangle" as procedures in LOGO and so permit great flexibility in
patterns to be constructed by children and graduate students...

So I am delighted to have in hand (despite all the pesky lego bits) my own
"turtle".  Now I can write my own "LOGO" language in some one of the
current generic RCX languages such as NQCC or legOS (I'd work from LINUX)
but surely that has already by done.

Question:  WHere can I find more on the use of LOGO on the RCX or the MIT
programmable brick?

Looking forward to the wisdom of the list,

Ralph M. Deal    deal@kzoo.edu
PS I almost wrote a text on LOGO long ago and did write on on it's mother,
LISP.