 Robotics / 19588
Re: RCX and batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:06:32 GMT

"Nick Tarleton" <nickptar@mindspring.com> wrote:
Bluey wrote: • [cut & pasted]
In lugnet.robotics, Nick Tarleton writes:
If you have a 1.0 RCX, use a power adapter when you can. 9-12V, any
polarity will do, even AC. I use a 12V, 500mA, negative-tip adapter • from -
hehe - a K'Nex set. • [here it is]
are you sure any polarity will work?
does it have a rectifier(I think this is what I mean) built into the • port?

I'm not sure, but it does have a voltage regulator, and I've *heard* it
works even with AC. (BTW, a rectifier meaning a single diode blocks • current
going the wrong direction. A 4-diode rectifier bridge converts AC to
constant DC.)

A 4-diode rectifier bridge converts AC to DC (and will sort out polarity
problems), but it's not constant voltage DC (it's both halves of the AC sine
wave above the axis, like the side view of a box of eggs). You need at the
very least an additional capacitor to smooth that out to something
approximating a constant voltage.

Tim