 Robotics / 19567
Re: RCX and batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 24 Nov 2002 15:26:50 GMT

Brass Tilde wrote:
Is the RCX considered a "high-drain" or "moderate-drain" device?

I don't know how those terms are defined.

If one is
using the motors, I'd almost say yes, but how does frequency of use factor
into this?  Is anyone using rechargeable NiMH batteries in their RCX?  What
kind of performance to you get?

I use NiMH's - they work just fine - but obviously they don't have the
capacity of disposable batteries - I'd estimate that they run out in
about a quarter the time that disposables do...but RCX's battery life
depends *SO* much on what you are doing with it that it's hard to do
a scientific test.

Buy two sets - and be really strict with yourself about putting the
depleted batteries back on charge when you replace them with freshly
charged ones.   Then you generally care very little about battery
life.

If I was (say) doing a Lego demonstration or entering a competition,
I'd use disposable batteries for that - just for the added reliability
and to avoid the embarrasment of dead batteries in the middle of a run.

Don't use NiCd batteries though.  They only produce 1.2v per battery
and that's not enough to run RCX reliably.
HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net