 Robotics / 19584
Re: RCX and batteries
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 21:59:57 GMT

Hi Guys ,

Just to let you know that the AC Power Adapter that LEGO supplies has an AC
output voltage. You can even get 5mm plug and attach it to a 9V battery clip
and use a standard 9V battery to power the RCX. It won't last long but it is a
way to keep the memory in the RCX when changing batteries. Plug the 9V battery
into the the power input, take all the AA batteries out and replace them, then
remove the 9V battery. Simple and quick.

Regards, Bernard

Bluey wrote:

are you sure any polarity will work?
does it have a rectifier(I think this is what I mean) built into the port?

Timothy

In lugnet.robotics, Nick Tarleton writes:
If you have a 1.0 RCX, use a power adapter when you can. 9-12V, any
polarity will do, even AC. I use a 12V, 500mA, negative-tip adapter from -
hehe - a K'Nex set.
I'm not sure, but it does have a voltage regulator, and I've *heard* it
works even with AC. (BTW, a rectifier meaning a single diode blocks current
going the wrong direction. A 4-diode rectifier bridge converts AC to
constant DC.)