 Robotics / 19589
Re: Newbie has an idea - Nascar style racing?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 25 Nov 2002 23:42:26 GMT

Rob Limbaugh wrote:
Here is a drawing of what I was thinking of:
http://www.abs-robotics.com/ideas/track.jpg

Printing the layout on paper would be expensive for a home user that does not refill their own cartridges.  Paper won't
> stay down unless taped, and it could be torn easily with a brick
corner during a crash.

I guess so - but it's easily repaired and highly reproducible.

But... paint non-adhesive white linoleum tiles a different color (or shade) for their function.  Tiles
> and paint are cheap and universally available.  They are pretty
easy to line up against each other, too.

Yes - but getting it reproducible would be tricky.  If I use slightly
different shades of grey paint - or shinier paint than you do - then
my robots may not do well on your track.  That kind of thing matters
in competitions.

Painting a bunch of concentric shapes in a dozen shades of grey paint
isn't very easy to do either.

Incidentally, this won't solve collision problems.  A forward facing
> light sensor won't solve side collisions or wheel touching.  Besides,
> collisions are a good thing... it makes a builder have to trade weight
> for structural integrity and ads an element of excitement to any race.

Yes - but if there is no way for a robot to avoid a collision, it
takes a lot of skill out of the race - everything ends up being a bit
of a lottery.  It's no fun if I'm way out in the lead and smack into
the back of a slow robot.  Unless you want to turn this into robotic
Sumo, it's not going to be a very skillful competition.

Perhaps the Spybot bricks would be more suitable to racing if the
> multitude of IR sensors in them can be used to detect light levels.

Yes - but with the sensors and the motors all built into one solid
lump, won't all the robots be pretty much identical?

HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net>    WorkEmail: <sjbaker@link.com>
Projects : http://plib.sf.net    http://tuxaqfh.sf.net
            http://tuxkart.sf.net http://prettypoly.sf.net