 Robotics / 19275
19274  |  19276
Subject:
Project WIRRL Update
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 21 Oct 2002 04:38:13 GMT

Hello everyone,

WIRRL stands for "Wireless Infra-Red Radio Link".

Creating each leg of the RF link independantly isn't really a problem (once
you have a reliable 38kHz IR carrier wave).  The problem is eliminating link
feedback by controlling the direction of the conversation.

Because it had been a couple months since I was last able to play with
things, I decided I should probably document where I am now.  (Spending
yesterday going back over my notes was sort of a drag...)  Then, I had this
radical idea of sharing things (what a concept!?).

[The real story:  I couldn't find everything.  The stuff I did find was out
of order or in multiple places.  I couldn't read some of my own notes, and I
had to rebuild some things so I could remember what they did!]

So, for those interested:
http://www.abs-robotics.com/projects/wirrl.htm

Be warned... the current schematic probably won't work if you build it
(matter of fact, I'm willing to bet it won't).  The diagram looks like it's
made from different resources... that's because it is.

Today I was working with a possible half duplex communication switching
solution, which is set to be controlled by a 4001 NOR gate.  A 200us delay
is set for both sides of traffic.  So, when the RX side is re-transmitting
IR data, the 4001 is supposed to turn off the data line for the IR decoder
(which feeds the RF TX) and hold it off 200us after the line goes low so
feedback doesn't occur.  This is where I'm currently stuck.  Sadly, I'm not
an electronics guru, so it will take me some time to figure things out.

Any guidance would be welcomed!

- Rob