 Robotics / 19261
19260  |  19262
Subject:
LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sat, 19 Oct 2002 21:24:17 GMT

Hi,

we want to build a Roboter with the following characteristics and under the
following conditions:

The roboter should be able to drive through a whole building by itself.
During his drive he detects obstacles, walls etc.
Everything he detects he sents back to a computer.

The computer is the brain of this application.
He holds the program (the logic) of the whole application.
He gives the comand to the robot where to drive and accepts the feedback
from the robot.
Depending on what the robot sends he sketches a plan of the building.

So this roboter is controlled by a PC and acts as a little architect ;-)
We want to realize this via programming the robot with Java, e.g. a Java RCX
API.

First of all... is this whole project possible ?

Our problem (!):
What happens if the robot leave the room ?
How can we still send data from the PC to the Robot (for control of the
movement) ?
How can we still receive data from the robot to the PC (for feedback about
obstacles and walls) ?

We do not want to use wires of course.

Any ideas ?
I guess IR is inappropriate in this case, or ?
Are there other wireless solutions ?

Thanks a lot for your support !

Regards, Andreas