 Robotics / 19267
RE: LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 10:07:01 GMT

Hi everybody!

First of all, this is my first post to this list although I'm a member
for already a couple of months.

I'm currently working on a quite similar project for school - it's the
last year for me. The school is for something like "electrical
engineering" (with a tendency to programming).

Now to the robot:

general:
I use leJOS for robot programming and Java for PC-side programming. The
code for the robot will be (hopefully) finished next week. My robot
should be able to collect collision data, sensor values etc. and also to
move to specified targets without having to have sight contact to the
PC-station.

where is the ai?
Most computations - way finding for example - is done on the PC side.
The robot just has general information about where is the PC station and
own coordinates. So if he can't communicate (over IR) with the PC he can
try to move closer to the station. In addition he has an execute list.

the execute list:
The PC station can fill up the execute list of the robot what is
basically what he does step by step. Could look like this: move to x,y;
read sensor value; turn on motor; wait for some time; move to x1,y1;
read another sensor value; move to base (PC); build up communication and
send data;

triggers:
Of course a lot of things can happen while executing these things. So I
also want to use triggers, which are also execute lists that are
actually executed when a condition is met. Best example is a collision:
"when sensor 1 has value less than 500 (raw) then stop and send
collision data"; the PC would recompute a route to the target and send
it back to the robot.

On the PC side I haven't done anything yet, it's just in my head what it
should be able to do.

The whole thing should work in one room because I know that it would be
difficult to provide communication within a whole building. But what I
would suggest in that case is a RF transmission. Maybe you could use a
microcontroller to handle the communication and connect it to a sensor
input. As far as I know you can turn a sensor active and passive
(turning on and off supply that is) so you can send data to the µC. And
the µC can send data to the RCX by giving specific sensor values.

I have worked out some documentation already. But the thing is that it
is written in German. If you understand that I could send the docs to
you. The concept for the robot is more or less finished (maybe
navigation needs some rework). Navigation will be difficult anyway.

Greetings,
Raphael Langerhorst