 Robotics / 19274
Re: Anyone for Chess?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Sun, 20 Oct 2002 17:59:30 GMT

Do you know if there are actual player -vs.-  computer chess boards that
operate like this or is yours the first one?

I remember seeing one about 10 years ago, but I don't think it was very
popular because of the speed and accracy. I beleive it used a touch sensor
grid to detect moves, rather than scanning the board for changes. To move
pieces out of the way, it would move them to the edges of the squares and
squeeze the piece between. An interesting technique I tried initially, but
chose not to use as the positional accuracy of the robot wasn't good enough.

I've no idea of the make/model of this machine, so if anybody knows, I'd be
interested too.