 Robotics / 19261
  LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques

Hi, we want to build a Roboter with the following characteristics and under the following conditions: The roboter should be able to drive through a whole building by itself. During his drive he detects obstacles, walls etc. Everything he detects he (...) (22 years ago, 19-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  RE: LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques

Hi everybody! First of all, this is my first post to this list although I'm a member for already a couple of months. I'm currently working on a quite similar project for school - it's the last year for me. The school is for something like (...) (22 years ago, 20-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques

I have seen IR-to-RF converters for sale. They are been used for remote control of any TV/VCR units without having the line of sight from the TV/VCR-remote controller to the unit. It is working like this; the remote controller sends a IR signal to (...) (22 years ago, 20-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  About Stop and Float mode

When I set the output to STOP mode, motor have a brake against moving, when I set output on FLOAT motor can "coast". Ok, until now, But, electrically, how what is the difference ? i mean, if I set in STOP it seems that the motor is connected (...) (22 years ago, 20-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: About Stop and Float mode

(...) Yes - that's it - it might not be an open contact though - but a high resistance of some kind. (...) This seems a dangerous thing to do (for the health of the RCX). ---...--- Steve Baker ---...--- HomeEmail: <sjbaker1@airmail.net> WorkEmail: (...) (22 years ago, 20-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques

(...) You don't discuss how the robot (or PC) knows where it is. That's the hard part - there has yet to be anything remotely like a solution reported here. We've discussed placing landmarks (like marks on the ground, flashing lights, etc) around (...) (22 years ago, 20-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  AW: LEGO MindStroms 2.0: Alternative transmission techniques

I have read the book "Core Lego Mindstorms Programming" and this book also discusses navigation. Since this is also my first project with the RCX I don't have much practical experience with navigation. I'm close to testing my dead reckoning system. (...) (22 years ago, 20-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Project WIRRL Update

Hello everyone, WIRRL stands for "Wireless Infra-Red Radio Link". Creating each leg of the RF link independantly isn't really a problem (once you have a reliable 38kHz IR carrier wave). The problem is eliminating link feedback by controlling the (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Project WIRRL Update

I'm looking for an RF solution for PC-RCX communication as well, been thinking along very much the same lines as Rob seems to have so far, I too was pondering how to deal with TX/RX switching (though I've not got as far as building a circuit, and (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Re: Project WIRRL Update

Replying to myself... I dismissed commercial solutions (proper radio modems) because they all looked too expensive. But I've found a beauty: (URL) RS232 @ 38.4Kb full duplex, 15Kbit rf, integral antenna, just under £30 (~$50) each for single units. (...) (22 years ago, 21-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)

  Another update for WIRRL

To those interested, I've made a new schematic (WIRRL Rev. 2a) using a better TX/RX pair (Linx LC Series) and I think I've found a possible better solution for handling flow of data. This new diagram eliminates three transistors and replaces the (...) (22 years ago, 22-Oct-02, to lugnet.robotics)