 Robotics / 18463
    Looking for correct terminology —Dean Hystad
   Hi All, I built a little robot that has two wheels that are tilted such that instead of being parallel to the ground the axles stick up at an angle approximately 75 degrees to the ground. Tilting the wheels this way raises the effective axis of (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Looking for correct terminology —T. Alexander Popiel
   (...) I believe that that configuration is called 'negative camber'. It tends to get used on race cars a lot to improve stability through high speed turns, if I recall correctly. - Alex (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Looking for correct terminology —Adrian Drake
     (...) Wheelchairs, particularly those used for sports like racing and basketball, also use negative camber. They can get pretty extreme too. When I worked for a wheelchair manufacturer, we'd do camber of up to 18 degrees on each wheel. Adrian -- (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Looking for correct terminology —Dean Hystad
   (...) I don't know if camber is the correct term to use here. If so, my robot wheels have 75 degrees of camber, and the wheels are cambered in instead of out (the wheelbase is really narrow). It's really a different kind of wheel design. I'm not (...) (22 years ago, 24-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Looking for correct terminology —Brian B. Alano
   If I read you right, that is the correct term, and you have a camber of (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Looking for correct terminology —Dean Hystad
   (...) I see I haven't succeeded in describing the information I am looking for. I know what camber is. I work for a company that makes equipment for testing vehicle suspension kinematics, compliance, performance and durability. I spent the last (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        RE: Looking for correct terminology —Ralph Hempel
   Dean, After looking at the Androbot, I *finally* figured out what is going on here. At first glance, it looks like the robot has some extra camber - well, a LOT of camber. But what is it doing, exactly? In a normal robot the wheels that go straight (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Looking for correct terminology —Dean Hystad
   (...) Ralph, You are correct sir. By keeping the CG near the ground and having such aggressive camber, my robot is actually quite stable. It uses the big 81mm balloon tires at about -75 degrees of camber and will recover from being tipped forward or (...) (22 years ago, 25-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)

        Re: Looking for correct terminology —Rob Limbaugh
   (...) Well, it's obvious... ....put a temperature sensor on the bot and see if it can bring you the beer without shaking it up! :) (22 years ago, 26-Jul-02, to lugnet.robotics)