 Robotics / 18489
Re: Looking for correct terminology
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Thu, 25 Jul 2002 22:03:23 GMT

In lugnet.robotics, Ralph Hempel writes:
Dean,

After looking at the Androbot, I *finally* figured out
what is going on here. At first glance, it looks like the
robot has some extra camber - well, a LOT of camber.

But what is it doing, exactly?

In a normal robot the wheels that go straight up
and down. Without a dynamic stabilizing function, the
robot simply tips over because its center of gravity
is ABOVE the axis of rotation.

With your new configuration, as the robot tips away
from the vertical, the pivot point moves FARTHER from
the vertical than the center of gravity. When you
let go of the robot, it tries to right itself...

Am I right, or wayyy off the mark?

I'd call it the Weeble platform.

<http://www.yesterdayland.com/popopedia/shows/toys/ty1088.php>

Cheers, Ralph

Ralph,

You are correct sir.

By keeping the CG near the ground and having such aggressive camber, my
robot is actually quite stable.  It uses the big 81mm balloon tires at about
-75 degrees of camber and will recover from being tipped forward or
backwards 45 degrees.  If I limit the accelerations there is hardly any
wobble in its motion at all.  However young kids like the wobbly gait so I
usually don't bother.

I had combletely forgotten about TOPO until Rob reminded me.  At the time I
was saving up to by a HERO (unfortunately that money ended up going for
tuition) and scoffed at such a toy (though now a robot that can bring me a
cold beer is quite appealing).  But I guess those wheels got stuck in my
brain somewhere.