 Robotics / 17962
Re: NQC "No reply from RCX" Help Please
Newsgroups:
lugnet.robotics
Date:
Mon, 20 May 2002 16:52:23 GMT

Well, I'm having a similar problem, but in my case, NQC and bricxcc just
don't even ever see the brick.  I have firmware installed, and the Lego RIS
2.0 software works and communicates perfectly with the brick (little green
light on the USB tower and everything...can download basic programs, etc).
Problem is, Bricxcc says it can't see the brick and NQC says there was an
error "could not open serial port".  The little green light never goes on in
the tower.

I even set the RCX_PORT environment variable to USB and try the -susb option
in NQC, but it just won't recognize the port.  I am using Windows XP if that
makes any difference (sigh, it certainly has made a difference with the
stupid Vision Commander product from Lego that seems to not support XP and
Lego won't help).

This second problem sounds very different from the first one.  Are you
sure it says "could not open serial port" and not "Could not open serial
port or USB device"?  If the former (no mention of USB), then you are
probably using an old version of NQC that does not support USB.  If the
later, then the error message indicates that NQC is not able to open the
device driver.  The most common cause of this is mistyping the
environment variable or -S option (must be an upper case 'S' for that
option).  When using BricxCC you probably don't need RCX_PORT at all - I
think BricxCC tells NQC what port to use, and that should be configured
as a preference somewhere.

It definately said "could not open serial port" (I typed it in quotes even
and copied it directly from the program).  The NQC version is the latest off
your page (2.4_r2).  And I was using the -SUSB (I'll have to go back and
double check that I was using Uppercase, but I figured setting the
environment variable should work too, and both gave the same error).

I also thought it was strange that it would return an error stating that the
serial port couldn't be opened, but then thought maybe the program (since it
had been adapted from the original Serial port based NQC) may have just not
been updated and the error said the same thing regardless.

It also doesn't explain why Bricxcc is having problems (which is why I even
went to NQC to see if it was having problems at the CORE level).

One thing to update on this, when I downloaded the Lego SDK 2.0 and ran the
scriptEd, it looks like it sees TOWERUSB1 and TOWERUSB2...???  But the
scriptEd program can also communicate directly with the brick just fine
(send test beeps and "pings" and it seems to be working).

What version of NQC are you using?

Latest from the web page.  2.4_r2.

As for WinXP, I don't think NQC itself should have any trouble, and if
the RIS software is working, then I'd assume the Lego USB driver is also
ok.

Nod.  Thanks.

Dave Baum

Thanks for your help here, Dave.  I love your book(s) and think you have
done a great job in the Lego Mindstorms community.  Thanks for being so
approachable here too!  Smile.

-Jeff McClain